It’s that time again–the leaves are changing, the air is cooling, and students are applying for Take a Logger to Work (TLW)!

So what’s all the hype about, anyway?

In short, Logger students are matched with Logger alumni and parents for half-day job shadowing experiences. Opportunities are typically offered in Washington, Oregon, California, Colorado, and Hawaii!

What’s it like to participate in TLW?

Kyla Richards ’19, hosted by Vienna Saccomanno ’13 at the Marine Conservation Institute:

Vienna gave me advice on how to get involved in conservation work. She allowed me to talk to her co-workers about how they have used their degrees to get to where they are today. She also gave me a lot of ideas for possible internships and other Loggers I could talk to in the conservation field.

Lee Nelson ’19, hosted by Cassie Marshall ’13 at United Way of King County:

Cassie was a great host and had us help the rest of the AmeriCorps VISTA team participate in their MLK day of service project at an urban garden in Seattle. As we worked, I met many AmeriCorps members and learned about the various paths they’ve chosen. By talking to so many people who are just a few years out of college, I learned that I don’t need to be so stressed about life after graduation—there are plenty of opportunities that would satisfy my desires.

From the host perspective, how is TLW a valuable experiential learning opportunity for students?

Kato Wade ’04, Ascent Private Capital Management of U.S. Bank:

Take a Logger to Work gives a real-world opportunity for students to take what they learn in the classroom and apply it to the professional environment. I believe that this will be catalyzed through additional reflection by each of the student participants after the day has been completed.

Eric Kenji Lee ’15, The Allen Institute for Brain Science:

Students imagine themselves doing my duties and from there they can determine if that is something they would personally enjoy. It also helps them begin to think very seriously about their future.

2017 host:

It was amazing to see the students experience moments of realization, learning, and excitement throughout the day as they were exposed to a new workplace and potential career trajectory that aligned with their interests and passions.

Take a Logger to Work is a chance to leverage your Puget Sound connections and step into the professional world for a taste of what’s to come—so don’t miss out. Preview our hosts and make sure to apply early for your best chance at being matched!

© 2017 Career and Employment Services, University of Puget Sound
Author: Audra Delisle ’11
Photos courtesy of Ross Mulhausen and TLW hosts
Collage by Audra Delisle ’11